In order to operate a motor vehicle within Delhi, one must initially acquire a learning license. This license grants the individual the legal authorization to practice driving on Indian roads, under the supervision of someone possessing a valid driving license. In Delhi, individuals who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to drive vehicles like cars or motorcycles. However, adhering to the responsibilities of being a conscientious Indian citizen, one must undergo an application process outlined by the Delhi Regional Transport Office (RTO). This office operates in accordance with the stipulations of the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, which mandates the acquisition of a learning license.
For those interested in obtaining a learning license in Delhi, a specific application procedure needs to be followed, streamlining the process of acquiring the learning license.
Moreover, it’s imperative to note that, as per the provisions of The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, every vehicle registered with the Delhi RTO is obligated to have a valid car insurance policy.
Types of Learning License in Delhi
Varieties of Learning Licenses Available in Delhi Given the diverse array of motor vehicles navigating the Indian roadways, it becomes crucial for an individual to determine the specific category of vehicle they intend to operate. Accordingly, in alignment with the type of motor vehicle an individual seeks to drive, Delhi issues the following variants of learning licenses:
- Motorcycle without gears
- Motorcycle with gears
- Light motor vehicle
- Medium goods vehicle
- Heavy goods vehicle
- Heavy passenger vehicle
- Medium passenger vehicle
- Invalid carriage
- Road roller
Qualification Requirements for Acquiring a Learning License in Delhi
The criteria for eligibility differ based on the specific category of vehicle an individual aims to operate:
- To be eligible for piloting a light motor vehicle, the individual should have attained the age of 18 years.
- For operating a motorcycle with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc, the individual should have attained the age of 16 years.
- To drive a commercial motor vehicle, the individual should have achieved the age of 20 years.
- An individual aspiring to obtain a learning license must possess a thorough comprehension of traffic regulations and rules.
Required Documents for Acquiring a Learning License in Delhi
Applicants are required to furnish the subsequent documents at their respective RTO offices:
- Duly completed Application in Form no 2.
- Medical Certificate Form 1-A (only applicable for individuals seeking a transport license).
- Self-declaration of physical fitness, as documented in Form-1.
- Proof of age, which could encompass a Ration Card, life insurance plan, passport, voter ID card, birth certificate, educational certificate, or age validation issued by a licensed medical professional.
- Confirmation of residence, supported by records such as Aadhaar card, voter ID, passport, ration card, utility bills, property tax receipt, or recent telephone bills.
- Recent passport-size photographs.
- Proof of citizenship (Valid visa, work permit) for overseas applicants.
- If applying for a learner’s license for transport vehicles, a copy of your LMV driving license (with at least a year of use).
Applicable application fee.
Each of the above-mentioned documents should be attested by a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public.
Learner’s License Fee Structure in Delhi
The fee for obtaining a Learner’s License in Delhi is as follows:
- For a single class of vehicle: INR 30
- For two classes of vehicles: INR 60
- For three classes of vehicles: INR 90
This fee encompasses all the necessary charges associated with obtaining the license, excluding the photograph card fee, which is payable when obtaining the permanent driving license.
Procedure for Obtaining a Learning License in Delhi
Obtaining a learning license in Delhi can be accomplished through either the online or offline process
Online Process for Acquiring a Learning License in Delhi
For online application of a Learner’s licence in Delhi, adhere to the subsequent steps:
- Visit either the official Delhi government portal or the Parivahan website.
- Complete the application form with accurate details.
- Submit the form accompanied by scanned copies of necessary documents such as proofs of address, citizenship, and age.
- Additionally, submit the filled Form 1 and 1A for medical fitness assessment.
- Upon submission, you will receive an application number, which is vital for the subsequent driving test. Keep this number secure for future reference.
- Make the payment for the learner’s licence fees through the online platform.
- Post document authentication, the applicant must undertake a learner’s test.
- Prior to the learner’s test, assessments for color blindness and evaluation of limb movements are conducted.
- The learner’s test is an online multiple-choice objective exam. To pass, the applicant is required to correctly answer a minimum of 60% of the questions.
- Upon successfully passing the test, the learner’s licence is granted to the applicant on the same day. This licence holds validity for a span of six months starting from the issuance date.
Alternatively, the application for a learner’s license can also be made through the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways Website at parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/.
Offline Process for Acquiring a Learning License in Delhi
Obtaining a learner’s licence in Delhi through offline means is also an option. To do so:
- Acquire the learning licence application form or Form 2 from your nearest RTO Office.
- Complete the application form with the necessary details.
- Submit the form alongside essential documents including proofs of address, age, citizenship, and the duly filled medical fitness forms (Form 1 and 1A) at the RTO Office.
- Following submission, you will receive an application number, which must be retained for the forthcoming driving test.
- Make the required payment for the learning licence application fees at the RTO.
- After the verification of documents, the applicant is required to take a learner’s test.
- Prior to the learner’s test, assessments for color blindness and evaluation of limb movements are conducted.
- The learner’s test involves an online multiple-choice objective examination. To pass, the applicant must achieve a minimum score of 60%.
- Upon successfully clearing the test, the learner’s licence for Delhi is provided to the applicant on the same day. This licence remains valid for a period of six months from its date of issuance.
Obtaining a Duplicate Learning License in Delhi: Step-by-Step Process
The issuance of a learning license in Delhi falls under the purview of the Delhi RTO. If an applicant misplaces their learning license, they can acquire a duplicate learning license by adhering to the subsequent procedure.
Required Documents for Duplicate Learning License in Delhi
- Details pertaining to the lost learning license
- Proof of age and address documents
- Application Form LLD
- Appropriate application fees
Procedure to Obtain a Duplicate Learning License in Delhi
- The applicant seeking a duplicate learning license in Delhi must initiate the process by submitting an application to the RTO. This application should detail the circumstances leading to the need for a duplicate LL. The applicant is also required to provide a notarized affidavit confirming the loss, alongside a commitment to return the original LL if rediscovered in the future.
- The application for a duplicate learning license can be submitted either at the RTO office or through the official Delhi Government Website – www.delhi.gov.in.
- Upon processing the application, the applicant needs to visit the RTO in person, bringing copies of the original documents as well.
- The issuance of the duplicate learning license hinges on the verification of the submitted documents and forms. Once this process is completed satisfactorily, the duplicate learning license is granted to the applicant.
Learning License Test Procedure in Delhi
- A learning license conferred in Delhi serves as an official endorsement bestowed by the Indian Government, granting individuals the opportunity to learn driving under the guidance of an experienced driver holding a permanent DL.
- The learning license test in Delhi operates in compliance with the regulations outlined in the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. This test is supervised by a Motor Vehicles Inspector and aims to evaluate an applicant’s comprehension of various traffic rules and regulations.
- Conducted either online or through a written format, the nature of the test is contingent upon the qualifications of the individual applicant.
What is the procedure for rectifying errors in your learning license?
Should you need to amend any details on your learning license, you are required to submit a written application along with the appropriate documentation containing the accurate information. It’s important to note that this process is exclusively permissible at the same RTO where your original learning license was issued. Following approval, you can retrieve your license with the revised information on the very same day. A nominal fee will be incurred for this service.
Is it possible to acquire a learning license in Delhi when I’m 50 years old?
Yes, it is possible to obtain a learning license at the age of 50. However, you will be required to provide a medical fitness certificate and a physical fitness form, confirming your suitability to drive a vehicle on public roads in Delhi.
What duration is a learning license issued in Delhi valid for?
A learning license issued in Delhi remains valid for a period of 6 months.
At what point am I eligible to apply for a permanent driving license in Delhi?
You are eligible to apply for a permanent driving license in Delhi either 30 days after the issuance of your learning license or within 180 days from its date of issuance.
Does a learning license issued in Delhi hold validity throughout the entire country?
No, a learning license issued in Delhi does not have nationwide validity.
If I possess a learning license from Delhi, can I acquire a permanent DL in Mumbai?
Certainly, you can obtain a permanent DL in Mumbai with a learning license from Delhi. This can be accomplished by submitting a no objection certificate sanctioned by the Delhi RTO.
The process of applying for a learner’s licence in Delhi involves a systematic approach that caters to the diverse needs of applicants. Whether opting for the convenience of online application or the traditional offline route, the steps remain consistent. Aspiring license holders must adhere to the stipulated age requirements, provide essential documentation, and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of traffic rules through a learner’s test.
The learner’s licence serves as the foundation for responsible driving, granting individuals the opportunity to learn and practice their skills under the guidance of experienced drivers. With a straightforward fee structure and the flexibility to select the classes of vehicles one intends to learn, Delhi’s learner’s licence application process ensures a seamless journey towards acquiring the fundamental skills necessary for safe and informed driving on the city’s roads.