Introduction to Pan Card Application
PAN Card means Permanent Account Number is a wonderful initiation by the government of India which initially came into existence on 12th January 1984. It is 10-digit alphanumeric identity issued by the government o India to each taxpayer. It is commonly regulated by the Income Tax Department under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes. The PAN number includes the 10-digit unique identification code along with your name, date of birth and father’s name, so it can be used as in identity card in various governmental and non-governmental organizations.
It can be used as an identity proof but can’t be used as a proof of Indian citizenship. The foreign nationals who are subjected to do business in India having valid visa are also eligible for PAN card for various financial transactions. You can easily use PAN card in various financial transactions such as the opening of bank account, receiving of taxable salary or any other amount, especially higher transactions. The main function of providing PAN card is to provide universal identification of the financial issues to the people and also helps in preventing the evasion of the tax by keeping the track of monitory transactions.
The registration process of the PAN card is quite simple and quick. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that you should be very careful about the details you are adding into the PAN card so that to prevent the chances of mistakes. Also, once you have applied for the PAN card, you will be able to get yours’ at your doorsteps in about one month.
Steps to change/correct date of birth in PAN card
You should need to fill in the application form of your PAN card very carefully so that to avoid the chances of mistakes are being made. If in case, still, you find some errors in your PAN card related to your date of birth, you can easily resolve them out just following the very easy process.
Things that you should need to know before going forward for change/correction process of PAN Card: –
- You can only add changes or corrections in your PAN card, only if, it has been already allotted.
- The desired changes or corrections only made on the existing status of your PAN Card.
- No new PAN Card number will be issued in case of adding changes or corrections. A new PAN Card will be issued with the existing PAN card number and the related updates will be made in the records of Income Tax Department.
Please follow the steps given below to add changes or corrections in your PAN Card.
- Open your web browser and go to the official website of NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited).
- A guideline will be provided to you related to the context. Read it carefully and follow the steps provided.
- Convert the language of text provided as per your desired means if you are seeking it to be read in Hindi go with the option otherwise you will be automatically redirected to the by default language English.
- Now, scroll down the page and go the option of Select the Category of the Applicant.
- Once you have selected your category, a new application form will be provided to you. Read it and fill it carefully.
- Once done with the process, go to the option of making payment choose the desired one from various modes like; demand draft, cheque, credit card, debit card, net banking.
- While filling in the application form you should need to keep following things in mind:
- The columns marked by * are Mandatory and needs to be filled in compulsory.
- Check in the field in which you wanted to add changes like date of birth and make changes in the prescribed columns.
- Fill your existing PAN Number in the prescribed column very carefully in order to reduce the chances of new errors.
- If you are seeking for a paperless process, then select the desired column and tick YES in the option or if you wanted to go with the form submission through hard copy then select the option of NO in the desired column.
- If you are going forward with the online/paperless process you need to add a digital signature, Photo and other documents in the prescribed columns. You can easily do it by uploading the scanned copies of your signatures, Photo and other required documents in dedicated columns.
- If you wanted to go forward with the hard copies you need to follow the steps given below:
- When you fill the application process and go next you will find a 16 digit Acknowledgement Number which you need to take it as a printout.
- Paste your two passport size photographs in the prescribed columns and add signatures in the provided box.
- Enclose the demand draft or cheque along with the Acknowledgement card and required documents in an envelope.
- Mark an appropriate headline on the Envelope showing Application for PAN Change Request along with your Acknowledgement number and then post the envelope on the Physical Address of NSDL provided below:
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411016
Phone Number: 020 – 2721 8080
The only thing you need to keep in mind is that the regarding documents along with demand draft/cheque and fully filled Acknowledgement card need to be successfully delivered to the physical address of NSDL within 15 days of generation of Acknowledgement number. Once your request of required changes and corrections has been successfully delivered to the NSDL you will get a notification email for it.
PAN Card is one of the necessary identity cards which almost every citizen of India must need to have for various financial transactions. It is one of the best methods for various high-value transactions and to prevent the evasion of the tax by the people. One should need to take special care while filling in the application form of PAN card so that to reduce the chances of error introduced if still found any just follow the steps provided above to go further with the procedure.
Raj Kumar is a qualified business/finance writer expert in investment, debt, credit cards, Passive income, financial updates. He advises in his blog finance clap.